Bishop Altamont George Blackwood is the Pastor of the New Jerusalem Church of God in Christ Jesus (Apostolic), Inc. His vision is to promote the manifold blessings and spiritual comfort derived from the practice of and belief in the faith of applied Christianity, based on the doctrine of Jesus Christ and his apostles.
In 1960, Altamont Blackwood accepted the Lord as his personal Savior, and received the divine call to the Ministry. He was ordained by the late Bishop R.A. Carr, Presiding Bishop of Rehoboth Churches of God in Christ Jesus (Apostolic) and later sent to Pastor a branch of the Rehoboth Church in the parish of St. Catherine in Jamaica, W.I.
Since he migrated to the United States of America, 42 years ago he has traveled extensivelythroughout the country as well as Canada, preaching and assisting other Pastors in the work of the Lord.In 1978 he established“The New Jerusalem Church of God in Christ, (Apostolic) Inc.“ in Queens Village, New York. After spending 20 years in that location he was inspired to construct a new sanctuary and relocated to its current site, 130-08 Springfield Boulevard, Springfield Gardens, New York.
In 1988 Pastor Blackwood was appointed as Overseer of the Churches of God in Christ Jesus (Apostolic) Inc. of the New York District. Four years later he was consecrated to the office of Bishop.
His scholastic achievements over the years include a certification as an Electronic Technician from Trenton Technical Institute;a Diploma from Mercer County Vocational School as an Electrical Journeyman Technician, (sponsored by Princeton University); Ministerial Certification from the New York Theological Seminary and his Doctorate of Sacred Theology from the United Christian College, and the United Holy Church of America Inc.
Bishop Blackwood now Pastors a congregation which grew from five in 1978 to over five hundred regular congregants.
- With prayer and favor from God, Chase Manhattan Bank saw the light and extended theirCommunity Development Program to give loans to facilitate the construction of churches.Bishop Blackwood and The New Jerusalem Church became one of the first church in the New York to receive such a loan.
- With his vision and the growth of the ministry, two branch churches were established in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and in Stone Mountain, Georgia. He has a special interest in the education of the young people in his congregation, sponsoring scholarships for many who are in need.
- He hosts a television broadcast called “The New Jerusalem Hour” which airs weekly on the Queens Public Television, NYC.
- He served as the Chairman of the New York chapter for Hands Across Jamaica for Righteousness, an organization to help Jamaicans in the aspects of their social and spiritual life.
- In recognition of his service to the community, Bishop Blackwood received several Citations and Proclamations from various elected officials. Most notable in 2006, “September 24th”was declared “Bishop Blackwood Day” by Proclamations in honor of his service and achievements in the borough of Queens.
A devoted family man Bishop Blackwood is a proud husband to his beautiful wife Yvonne. Together they have three children, Christopher, Anthony, and Krystal and he is now the beaming grandfather of eight.
Email Bishop Blackwood at